Integrating MailScanner, SpamAssasin and Exchange {Scanned by HJMS}

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Wed Oct 22 16:55:27 IST 2003

Hmmm.  IMHO what you're suggesting is not a worthwhile trade-off - at least
in my case it's much better to leave both MXes in public DNS and then
restrict connections on the non-mailscanner system.

Yes, this means that most message deliveries from outside will include a
useless attempt to connect to the primary system, but that's a very small
price to pay for being able to immediately get mail flowing again if your
secondary system fails.

Consider:
Scenario 1: Only one MX (the secondary, mailscanner system) in public DNS.
Scenario 2: Both secondary and primary MXes listed in public DNS, but
primary rejects connections from everyone except the secondary (and any
other trusted networks).

In scenario 1, if the secondary system goes down then in order to get mail
flowing again we either have to update DNS and w...a...i...t or we have to
move the secondary's ip address over to the primary.

In scenario 2, if the secondary system goes down, then all we have to do is
remove our restriction from the primary, allowing it to accept inbound
connections.

At least in my situation, it's worth having a ton of rejected connections
(which are tiny - just a couple of packets per connection) to avoid ever
having to wait on DNS to time out.

--
Trever