Integrating MailScanner, SpamAssasin and Exchange

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Wed Oct 22 16:15:04 IST 2003

What I do for that is have my mailscanner behind a firewall, which forwards port 25 to it, then mailscanner sends mail to my Exchange server.  If I have trouble with my exchange, mailscanner keeps the messages for a while and if I have problems with my mailscanner machine, I just change the destination address for the port 25 forward on the firewall.

>My Linux mailserver
> did suffer a
> major hardware failure last week (which sucked). However, I
> was able to
> quickly restore email service without any extraordinary
> measures until I
> could get the machine replaced.
>
> Curiously, I have followed at least a dozen posts on this
> subject since I
> last replied. I have a question regarding the original
> integration issue
> which was posed. Are you specifically wanting all the spam control in
> Outlook using filters based on the SpamAssassin score? If
> not, you should
> really look into www.tmda.net . TMDA offers built-in integration with
> SpamCop. Besides, you could still use all of the power of
> SpamAssassin to
> mark what is most likely spam. TMDA is open-source and
> written in Python
> (even though I am Perl man myself :) ) and is free! TMDA will
> virtually
> block 100% of unwanted spam and take the burden off of the
> admin. Anyway,
> it's not my product, and I didn't help write. But it works
> really well. I
> tested it for 2 months as a trial and received no spam whatsoever.
>
> I know this is the MailScanner list, and I am a proud user of
> Mailscanner on
> every single Linux mailserver I operate (3 btw). However, I
> just wanted to
> pass along a really great open-source solution to help the
> fight against
> spam. Maybe I won't get flamed for this. :)
>
> Walt Wyndroski

No prob... we're spam-hunters, after all :)