Local DCC 'server' and MS?

Lindsay Snider lindsay at pa.net
Wed Oct 15 23:18:19 IST 2003

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 11:14, Ken Anderson wrote:
> Peter Bates wrote:
> > Hello all...
> >
> > Reading this
> > http://news.spamassassin.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=articl
> >e&sid=56&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
> >
> > and also upgrading to SA 2.60, which mentions this when doing a
> > '-D --lint':
> >
> > debug: DCCifd is not available: no r/w dccifd socket found.
> > debug: DCC is available: /usr/local/bin/dccproc
> >
> > ... are people out there running their own DCC servers/peers, or know
> > what this 'dccifd' is?
> >
> > I've just been using the dccproc thing generally, but I've grown more
> > concerned that I'm essentially 'taking' and not putting anything back
> > (like peering, or adding DCC signatures or Razor sigs for incoming mail
> > back into the 'pot', as it were)...
>
> A basic dcc install (without running your own server) checks the
> 'public' servers that it's configured to check to generate the DCC_CHECK
> score that your local SA uses. In this config, you are contributing just
> the same as if you ran your own server, since the dcc servers you are
> hitting will include your spam reports with their own.
>
> If you get a lot of spam (as we do), you'll eventually get an email from
> Vernon @ ryholite software asking you to stop hammering the public
> servers and run your own! ;-).

After reading the plea on the spamassassin news site, I thought we should
consider setting up dccd.  Does the peering seem to work pretty well?  Any
idea how much bandwidth it consumes?  At some # of message / time unit, I
imagine it saves bandwidth to be a peer rather then query others.

> You run the server 'dccd', and set it up to peer with several other dccd
> servers. They exchange data regularly, so that you have a copy of the
> global database. It's a bit odd in it's filenames/filestructure, but
> it's free and it works well, is well supported and seems to be actively
> maintained.
>
> One note of caution. It's a memory hog(currently 264012 KB), but stable.

I was hoping to share a machine for this but maybe due to memory usage, that's
not an option.