forward fromandto rules

Tue Oct 14 21:00:01 IST 2003

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 8:48 pm, Furnish, Trever G wrote:

> > Fromandto means exactly the same as Fromorto, Fromto, or for
> > that matter
> > anything containing the strings 'from' and 'to' - it's just one of the
> > flexible features of MailScanner.
>
> While that is clearly the documented and intended behavior, it seems much
> less like a "feature" to me than a ... well, what's the difference between
> "bug" and "design flaw" -- just that one is documented and the other isn't?
>
> :-)
>
> No offense intended to Julian, but I'm not sure how that could be called a
> useful feature, and to me it's a clear violation of the "principle of least
> surprises".  I'd be quite happy to see this change in a future release such
> that fromorto stops working unless it is exactly "fromorto".

It depends how you read it.

Some people would say "it matches on both from and to", therefore fromandto
can be a sensible name for it.

So long as you understand it only takes one argument, and therefore you
cannot expect it to match "from=this and to=that" then you should be okay.

Just my 2p.

Antony.

--

The first ninety percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent
of the time, and the last ten percent takes the remaining ninety percent.