forward fromandto rules {Scanned by HJMS}

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 14 21:02:26 IST 2003

At 20:48 14/10/2003, you wrote:
>No offense intended to Julian, but I'm not sure how that could be called a
>useful feature, and to me it's a clear violation of the "principle of least
>surprises".  I'd be quite happy to see this change in a future release such
>that fromorto stops working unless it is exactly "fromorto".

I work on this principle, which is one widely used by anyone writing
software that takes input and produces output: "Be very strict about what
you write, and very flexible about what you read".

If everyone who implemented RFC's only accepted input that strictly adhered
to the letter of all other RFC's, the net simply wouldn't work. Not even
TCP would work (cf. differences between the DEC and the BSD TCP/IP stack).

You haven't seen what you can do to the MailScanner.conf file and still
leave it perfectly parseable!
:)
--
Julian Field
PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654