Addendum to Virus Scanner Review

Nathan Johanson nathan at TCPNETWORKS.NET
Fri Oct 10 22:04:21 IST 2003

Yeah, I've drawn a few conclusions from dealing with all of these
vendors (all of which I could have probably guessed before I even set
out to do this).

* Software licensing (as far as AntiVirus software goes) is ambiguous at
best. The license says one thing, the site says another, and the sales
representative another. Sometimes you talk to two people at a given
vendor and get two different answers.
* Should you purchase a product based on what an uninformed sales
representative tells you, you could be in breach of the paper license.
Of course, the reverse it true too. You could end up overpaying for the
software if you're dealing with the uninformed (more common with the
larger companies I suspect). For example, two different representatives
told me that McAfee VirusScan for Unix was licensed per computer (not
per user), but others on this list have been told the exact opposite. A
look at the license says that it can be installed one "one computer",
but some of their marketing documentation seems to contradict that. What
the hell? Frankly, I don't think the vendors even know how their
licensing works.

I'm curious how many people have actually been audited for software
license compliance. And I'm curious how many of these license agreements
have actually stood up in court. Personally, I've never heard of such a
thing. I do know this... All of the ambiguity makes it difficult for
law-abiding citizens like myself to purchase their software and remain
confident that I'm in compliance... since "compliance" is a moving
target.

Nathan