Mailscanner vs Spamassassin settings for changing the message headers

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 20:27:01 IST 2003

At 20:03 03/10/2003, you wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 19:31, Julian Field wrote:
> >The whole point of the attachment method is that
> >you can guarantee the initial message you see (which does include the
> >sanitised subject line) is harmless.
>
>Yes, but that fails if users end up opening the attachment anyway
>because they have the slightest doubt it is spam.
>
> >Including anything from the >original
> >message has to be done *very* carefully.
>
>Yes.  Not such an issue if the message has a text/plain part or has been
>stripped of html.
>
>I'd suggest stripping the first few lines of the message, maybe even
>sanitising (single punctuation marks, single spaces and alphanumeric
>characters only, perhaps)
>For messages with html content (where the striphtml action isn't chosen)
>I guess you'd have to grab the first X lines, pass them through the
>striphtml and behave as above with the result.  I imagine this is rather
>more hassle.

I'll take a look at this problem, it would indeed be a useful feature.
But not for this weekend's release.

P.S. I'm helping a friend move house this weekend, so don't expect me to be
around much. I haven't changed 4.24-4 much since releasing that, so it will
go stable as 4.24-5 Real Soon Now(tm).
--
Julian Field
PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654