Mailscanner vs Spamassassin settings for changing the message headers

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Oct 3 20:03:37 IST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 19:31, Julian Field wrote:

>The whole point of the attachment method is that
>you can guarantee the initial message you see (which does include the
>sanitised subject line) is harmless.

Yes, but that fails if users end up opening the attachment anyway
because they have the slightest doubt it is spam.

>Including anything from the >original
>message has to be done *very* carefully.

Yes.  Not such an issue if the message has a text/plain part or has been
stripped of html.

I'd suggest stripping the first few lines of the message, maybe even
sanitising (single punctuation marks, single spaces and alphanumeric
characters only, perhaps)
For messages with html content (where the striphtml action isn't chosen)
I guess you'd have to grab the first X lines, pass them through the
striphtml and behave as above with the result.  I imagine this is rather
more hassle.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000