RBL Usage Questions

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Nov 13 14:05:49 GMT 2003

At 13:22 13/11/2003, you wrote:
>I have a couple of newbie RBL questions:
>
>1. If I have MailScanner doing RBL using _only_ MAPS-RBL+ which provides an
>aggregated service, how does MS handle the score returned by the MAPS-RBL+
>lookup as the last part of the IP address in the context of the "Spam Lists
>To Reach High Score" definition.
>
>(See
>http://www.ja.net/CERT/JANET-CERT/mail/mail-abuse/rbl-plus-guide.html#otherM
>APS for the explanation of the lookup results)

It is triggered if it gets any of the valid 127.0.0.x return codes.

>2. If the message source is positively identified by RBL does MailScanner
>still pass the message on to SpamAssassin or reject (or tag it) it with no
>further ado?

This is configurable. See the MailScanner.conf file:
# If the message sender is on any of the Spam Lists, do you still want
# to do the SpamAssassin checks? Setting this to "no" will reduce the load
# on your server, but will stop the High Scoring Spam Actions from ever
# happening.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Check SpamAssassin If On Spam List = yes

--
Julian Field

PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654