RBL Usage Questions

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at YORK.AC.UK
Thu Nov 13 15:30:29 GMT 2003

Greetings -

--On Thursday, November 13, 2003 2:05 pm +0000 Julian Field
<mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

>> 1. If I have MailScanner doing RBL using _only_ MAPS-RBL+ which provides
>> an aggregated service, how does MS handle the score returned by the
>> MAPS-RBL+ lookup as the last part of the IP address in the context of
>> the "Spam Lists To Reach High Score" definition.
>>
>> (See
>> http://www.ja.net/CERT/JANET-CERT/mail/mail-abuse/rbl-plus-guide.html#ot
>> herMAPS for the explanation of the lookup results)
>
> It is triggered if it gets any of the valid 127.0.0.x return codes.

Are you sure?  If so then this won't work with the MAPS RBL+ (or JANET's
mirror of it)... this uses return codes of the form

    127.1.0.N

as described in the page described above:

    <http://www.ja.net/CERT/JANET-CERT/mail/mail-abuse/rbl-plus-
        guide.html#otherMAPS>

However if MailScanner works with ANY value that's returned then there
shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,

Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *