Mistake in MailScanner.conf ?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Nov 9 18:20:29 GMT 2003

At 17:37 09/11/2003, you wrote:
>This is either a mistake in the comments, or a directive that has
>changed meaning (I suspect the former).  Julian, could you confirm...
>
>My understanding of the previous functionality if the "Allow ... Tags"
>and "Convert Dangerous HTML to Text" settings for messages containing
>dangerous tags...
>
>Allow ... Tags    Convert Dangerous      actions
>Yes               No                     None
>Yes               Yes                    Stripped
>No                Yes or No              Blocked
>
>Which makes me think the current behaviour is...
>
>Allow ... Tags    Convert Dangerous      actions
>Yes               No                     None
>Yes               Yes                    Stripped
>Disarm            Yes or No              Affected tags disarmed
>No                Yes or No              Blocked
>
>But the new comment is ...
>
>#### BEGIN COMMENT ####
># The following "Convert Dangerous HTML To Text" only applies if set to
># "yes" and if one or more of the above "Allow ... Tags" settings is
>"no".
># It does not apply if all those "Allow..." tags are "yes" or "disarm".
>#
># If an "Allow ... Tags = no" is triggered by a message, and this
># "Convert Dangerous HTML To Text" is set to "yes", then the HTML
># message will be converted to plain text.  This makes the HTML
># harmless, while still allowing your users to see the text content
># of the messages.  Note that all graphical content will be removed.
>#
>#### END COMMENT ####
>
>Which suggests the following behaviour...
>
>Allow ... Tags    Convert Dangerous      actions
>Yes               Yes or No              None
>Disarm            Yes or No              Affected tags disarmed
>No                Yes                    Stripped
>No                No                     Blocked or None (not clear?)
>
>Have I completely missed something?

This is what I get for adding new features without removing old ones :-)
I *think* what happens (would have to study the source to prove it) is this:

Allow   Convert Actions
Yes             Yes/No  None
Disarm  No              Disarm affected tags
Disarm  Yes             Stripped
No              Yes             Stripped
No              No              Blocked

--
Julian Field
PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654