Mistake in MailScanner.conf ?

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Sun Nov 9 17:37:46 GMT 2003

This is either a mistake in the comments, or a directive that has
changed meaning (I suspect the former).  Julian, could you confirm...

My understanding of the previous functionality if the "Allow ... Tags"
and "Convert Dangerous HTML to Text" settings for messages containing
dangerous tags...

Allow ... Tags    Convert Dangerous      actions
Yes               No                     None
Yes               Yes                    Stripped
No                Yes or No              Blocked

Which makes me think the current behaviour is...

Allow ... Tags    Convert Dangerous      actions
Yes               No                     None
Yes               Yes                    Stripped
Disarm            Yes or No              Affected tags disarmed
No                Yes or No              Blocked

But the new comment is ...

#### BEGIN COMMENT ####
# The following "Convert Dangerous HTML To Text" only applies if set to
# "yes" and if one or more of the above "Allow ... Tags" settings is
"no".
# It does not apply if all those "Allow..." tags are "yes" or "disarm".
#
# If an "Allow ... Tags = no" is triggered by a message, and this
# "Convert Dangerous HTML To Text" is set to "yes", then the HTML
# message will be converted to plain text.  This makes the HTML
# harmless, while still allowing your users to see the text content
# of the messages.  Note that all graphical content will be removed.
#
#### END COMMENT ####

Which suggests the following behaviour...

Allow ... Tags    Convert Dangerous      actions
Yes               Yes or No              None
Disarm            Yes or No              Affected tags disarmed
No                Yes                    Stripped
No                No                     Blocked or None (not clear?)

Have I completely missed something?