ANNOUNCE: Beta release 4.25-6

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Nov 8 13:23:37 GMT 2003

At 23:19 07/11/2003, you wrote:
>On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:47:19 GMT, Julian Field writes:
> >I would appreciate it if people could try it out on their own favourite MTA
> >and confirm if it all works okay.
>
>It works, after a bit of tweaking. The new syntax of virus.scanners.conf
>  wasn't all too intuitive without documentation.

New docs:
# This is a list of the names of the virus scanning engines, along with the
# filename of the command or script to run to invoke each one.
# Three fields:
#  1.  Name of virus scanner as known by MailScanner. Do not change this.
#  2.  Location of -wrapper script. You should not need to change this.
#  3.  Installation directory of virus scanner. This does not usually include
#      any "bin" directory in the path to the scanner program itself.
# You can test a -wrapper script with a command like this:
#      /opt/MailScanner/lib/f-secure-wrapper /opt/f-secure/fsav /tmp
# That command will attempt to scan /tmp using F-Secure. If it works you
# should see some sensible output. If it fails, you will probably just see
# an error message such as "Command not found" or similar.
#

>Changing half a gazillion paths from /opt to fitting the local system
>  is still a PITA. Some central "prefix="-option, maybe?

In MailScanner.conf you can just define the paths using "%variable%"
settings and then use upgrade_MailScanner_conf to port all your settings
into the next version.

>Net::CIDR is not easy to satisfy on Debian "stale".

"stale" --- precisely.

>I'm still running mostly on the config from 4.22, but this will change
>  in the course of tomorrow, and you can expect updates on every issue
>  which isn't clearly _my_ fault ;)

Run "upgrade_MailScanner_conf" and it will explain how to use it.
--
Julian Field
PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654