Mimail virus & Restart

Cathy Cramer dev at ORIONHOST.NET
Wed Nov 5 16:40:56 GMT 2003

A couple newbie (MailScanner newbie and Linux newbie) questions:

1) Is this the correct way to block zip files?

deny    ZIP     No Zip temporarily   Zip files temporarily blocked due to mimail
virus

2) On RH how do I restart MailScanner without rebooting the server? I found
this in the documentation, but it doesn't mention restarting sendmail so I
wanted to confirm that these four commands are all that are needed.

        service sendmail stop
        chkconfig sendmail off
        chkconfig --level 2345 MailScanner on
        service MailScanner start

Thanks for your help,
Cathy Cramer

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 04:00 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Mimail virus

There are currently 2 problems:

a) Julian wrote a patch that solves a problem with interpreting the
output from Calm in some cases (Mimail.C)
b) clamscan 0.6 has a problem opening the zipped file with Mimail.G

So, the best bet today is to block zip files in the configuration.
Tomorrow there is suppoesed to be a new stable version of Clam which
solves the problem. hem you can install it and apply the patch. If you
need this today, any cvs snapshot (of Clam) apparently slves the problem.

There is also another solution by running in the mailing list,
"--diasble-archive" but I'm not sure what  that really does. I tried it
and it worked for me.

Miguel

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivmrus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.