[SAtalk] Am I nuts

Matt Kettler mkettler_sa at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 04:15:24 GMT 2003

At 04:14 PM 11/3/03 -0600, Chris Barnes wrote:
>Background: I had SpamAssassin 2.60 running just fine (using sendmail).
>I was calling spamd via the /etc/procmail.
>
>After installing Mailscanner and ClamAV, I noticed that the original SA
>conf file was being ignored in favor of the smaller version in the
>Mailscanner conf file.  Since I have custom rules that I really didn't
>want to loose, I turned SA off in Mailscanner, letting it handle just
>the the running of ClamAV.  SA is still being called by procmail.
>

>It seems to work just fine (everything).
>
>Q: Is this a "wrong way" to do it (ie. performance issues)?

Not really.

>Q: Is it just a "wierd way"?

It's a little weird..

Personaly, I like that MS uses a separate conf file.. it allows me to test
configfiles with spamassassin --lint before I copy them into the live
mailscanner config..

Basicaly I just merged all the stuff from
/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf into /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs.

Whenever I want to make config changes, I edit root's user_prefs, run
spamassassin --lint, and then copy it over the mailscanner file. Admittedly
I could also get the same effect with a separate user, but this is a bit
more convenient than having to su.

Also, even under mailscanner /etc/mail/spamassassin/*.cf (ie: local.cf)
should still be processed normally.. it's just the user_prefs file that
get's over-ridden. If it really bothers you, you can over-ride it back in
your mailscanner.conf and point it at /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs.

I also like that MailScanner has some extra flexibility about how and when
I run SA. But, YMMV and you can do what works for you.