spamassassin 2.54 released

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Fri May 16 11:07:15 IST 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003 10:13:58 -0700, you wrote:

>The DCC website says:
>
>By default, DCC clients send to UDP port 6277 from an anonymous port.
>Thus, it is sufficient to open a firewall for clients to outgoing UDP
>packets to port 6277 and incoming packets from port 6277. The server
>goes to some lengths to try to respond from the same IP address at which
>it received a client's request.
>
>Could someone dicpher that for me.  The 6277 incoming isn't initatiated
>by an outside source right?  On a stateful firewall I only need to allow
>6277 out correct.

No. (Most) statefull firewall don't keep UDP states because UDP is not a
connection oriented protocol and thus doesn't have any state.

Statefull firewalls build their state table based on SYN-packets and
those are not present in UDP.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)