Do I need SpamAssassin?

Wed May 7 23:07:39 IST 2003

Hi!

> I would like to keep it simple so what do I need SA for? It's more
> "advanced" but what does it mean to me? Will I get a lot of spam without
> it? Is it worth the added complexity?

Have a look on the SA homepage i would say.

I think its worth the trouble, as far as you can call it trouble, for me
it was just like installing and enabeling the option.

> Is there any point for me to scan mail for viruses at the MTA (Sendmail)
> level as well? Isn't the virus scan more resource demanding than the
> spam and attachment checks? I'm running Solaris and not all companies
> offer scanners for that platform. Any advice?
>
> Sorry for all the newbie questions but I'm really interested in using
> this. I have a chance of replacing a commercial Windows-based system
> that costs $20.000 a year in licensing alone and I really want to show
> what open source can do but this is new to me so I need help. Thanks.

Its serving two goals, to offload mailservers for example, or to offload
peoples time reading mail. Its also important how your company sees it...
or how you convince them ... :)

But in my eyes you still need desktop security also, seperately.

Btw, do some tests, for example the ones on GFI, i am allmost sure your
current solution doesnt stop all.

Bye,
Raymond.