MS hangs, unkillable process

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Wed May 7 14:42:20 IST 2003

"Desai, Jason" <jase at SENSIS.COM> wrote:

>I've found (at least with syslog-ng on Debian) that I need to restart
>MailScanner when I rotate my syslogs.  Otherwise MailScanner does not log
>again until it restarts.

This is either a bug in perl's Sys::Syslog or in syslog-ng or both. The
code in libc re-connects to the logging socket if an attempt to log fails,
but the perl version doesn't.  Standard syslogd doesn't close the logging
socket when it re-initializes; I guess that this isn't true for syslog-ng.

Tony.
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE: SOUTHWESTERLY BACKING SOUTHEASTERLY FOR A
TIME 4 OR 5, INCREASING 5 TO 7, PERHAPS GALE 8 LATER. RAIN OR SHOWERS.
MODERATE OR GOOD.