f-prot autoupdate

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Wed May 7 14:34:04 IST 2003

Brad White <brad at LTINETWORKS.COM> wrote:

>I've noticed a problem with the f-prot autoupdate script.  For some
>reason this script often takes forever to download the updates.  I must
>have poor connectivity to the f-prot servers.  When the autoupdate
>script is fired off and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...MailScanner
>stops processing mail.  Mail just piles up in /var/spool/mqueue.in.  As
>soon as I kill the autoupdate script mail starts being processed again.

My version of the McAfee autoupdate script has a staging mechanism
so that the data files can be downloaded and tested without affecting
the live setup -- it doesn't require an interlock so connectivity
problems to the FTP site won't stop email flowing.

Perhaps you could use it as a basis for an improved f-prot script.

Tony.
WHITBY TO THE WASH: SOUTHWEST OR WEST 4, BACKING SOUTH 5 OR 6, VEERING
SOUTHWEST LATER. FAIR, THEN RAIN FOR A TIME. MODERATE OR GOOD. SLIGHT OR
MODERATE.