Filename Rules and double extensions

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 2 16:36:36 IST 2003

At 15:20 02/05/2003, you wrote:
>You could then use a rule that looked like
>Allow   customername\.com       -       -
>That would allow all filenames which contained "customername.com" anywhere
>in the filename, which might be enough. If you just want to allow
>"customername.com.xxx" where "xxx" is "doc" or "ppt" or something like
>that, then you could do
>allow   customername\.com\..{3,4}       -       -
>This would allow the "xxx" to be 3 or 4 characters long, which you really
>need to do as not all Windows filename extensions are 3 characters long
>(e.g. "html" is 4).
>
>Would it also work if we named the specific file endings? i.e.
>allow           customername.com.doc
>allow           customername.com.xls
>etc........
>Just feel this ties it down a bit tighter.

Remember to put a '\' in front of each '.' as it is actually a regular
expression, and a '.' on its own means "any character".
And remember to add the 2 '-' signs on the end of the line so that there
are 4 fields on each line, which should be separated by tab characters and
not just spaces.

>Are we right in thinking that these attachments will still be scanned for
>known viruses by MS?

Yes, indeed. It only affects the filename matching.
--
Julian Field