MS hangs, unkillable process

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Fri May 2 15:40:50 IST 2003

Julian,

   This has bitten me twice this week.  Nothing has changed recently
on my mail server, honest.  Setup: Sun E220R, Solaris 8, MS 4.14-9,
SA 2.53, sophos 3.68, sophossavi.  I rotate my syslogs at midnight.
Before I stop syslogd, I stop MailScanner in my cron job.  Then
I shuffle the syslog files around, restart syslogd, then restart
MailScanner.  MailScanner doesn't restart.  The next morning, I find
one unkillable MS process sitting there.  "kill -9" won't nuke it
and I have to reboot to get things going again.  And or course, I
have 2K to 3K of backlog from the nighttime that MS has to munch
thru, work that can take a couple of hours.  Any ideas, other than
maybe install the 4.15 beta?  Do you think that sophossavi might
be the problem (my last big change, about a month ago)?

Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D
Senior UNIX Sysadmin and Email Guru
Information Technology Services
Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,