MS vs. Trend

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Mar 3 20:21:09 GMT 2003

> Hi there,
>
> I'm faced with making a "business case" of "mailscanner+some
> commercial av"
> against trend micro "complete antivirus/antispam/whatever
> solution"... I
> wonder if anyone out there have some input for it...

Well I'd start by analysing the speed with which bugs are fixed!  (seriously have a look through the list and you'll see!).  Argue that the money you spend on the virus vendors mail scanning tool would be better spent on a second AV product - so you can run MailScanner with two virus scanners for better protection, (throw in clam for free and you've got 3 scanners(!)).  What about spamassassin integration?  The flexibility of rulesets?  The extensibility with CustomConfig.  Proven reliability.  Commercial support options (if thats the worry).  Take a look at the list of organisations using MailScanner (on the website).  What about the opinions of real users - heres one, "It rocks" (and you can quote me on that!).  In future years you can shop around for the best deal on scanning engines without the worry of having to rebuild your mailserver.  Take another angle - what benefits does the commercial product offer that MS doesn't to justify its price?

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.