SpamAssassin 2.50 Bayes + MailScanner

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Mar 3 12:23:06 GMT 2003

I had this problem when I initially installed 2.50 for the first time. What
had happened was the "make install" of SA2.50 hadn't actually installed all
the files for some reason.

Check your /usr/share/spamassassin has some files in it that mention bayes
in their filename,
         ls /usr/share/spamassassin/*bayes*
and that there are some bayes files in /usr/lib/perl5 (or wherever the root
of your perl lib installation is).
         find /usr/lib/perl5 -name '*bayes*' -print

I ended up doing the "make install" again to watch carefully what happened,
and this time it put all the right files in place.
It was working then, and I wanted to go home, so I didn't ever investigate
it further.

At 11:37 03/03/2003, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone successfully managed to get SpamAssassin to auto learn e-mail
>processed via MailScanner???
>
>I've received about 1200 e-mails that have been processed with 2.50
>although when I run 'check_bayes_db' as root, it only reports that it has
>seen two messages which were the 'sample-spam.txt' and
>'sample-nonspam.txt' test files that I ran through SA when I upgraded.
>
>I've tried putting 'auto_learn 1' into spam.assassin.prefs.conf - I've
>also tried to change the bayes db path by putting 'bayes_path
>/etc/MailScanner/bayes' into the prefs file - after restarting
>MailScanner, the only file that gets created is 'bayes_toks.db' which is
>an empty file.
>
>Anyone else had this problem??
>
>Thanks,
>

>Steve
>
>--
>Steve Freegard
>Systems Manager
>Littlehampton Book Services Ltd.
>Tel: +44 (0)1903 82 8594
>Fax: +44 (0)1903 82 8620

>the system manager.
>
>This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
>MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
>
>www.lbsltd.co.uk

Julian Field