Mailscanner and Exim with "split_spool_directory = true"

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Mon Mar 3 13:08:27 GMT 2003

Tony Finch <dot at DOTAT.AT> wrote:

>I haven't got around to investigating this properly, but I have a couple
>of thoughts on the matter. You ought to be able to have a split spool
>directory on the smtp listener by using a configuration like
>        Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim.in/input/*
>but there isn't much point in this because the incoming spool dir
>should always be small. split_spool is much more important for the
>outgoing Exim because it's doing all the retries, and because of its
>support for turning the option on and off with messages already in the
>spool, it may be possible to make MailScanner just leave the messages
>in /var/spool/exim/input and rely on Exim to move them into the correct
>subdirectory.

Unfortunately Exim doesn't move messages in the queue, and just relies
on the natural turnover of messages when turning split_spool_directory
on and off to do the work of getting all messages into the right place.
So although this setup works, it has no benefit.

Tony.
LANDS END TO ST DAVIDS HEAD INCLUDING THE BRISTOL CHANNEL: SOUTHEAST 4 OR 5
INCREASING 6 LOCALLY 7 VEERING WEST 5 THEN BACKING SOUTHWEST 4 OR 5 LATER.
RAIN OR DRIZZLE. MODERATE LOCALLY POOR LATER. MODERATE OR ROUGH.