Newbie to Mailscanner

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Mar 3 11:49:29 GMT 2003

> Mailscanner scan incoming emails for virus, where does it get
> the virus
> pattern files.
You need to install a virus scanner (probably a commercial one like sophos or f-prot)

> We are using Trend server protect for another
> server (win
> 2000)  , does it mean I copy the pattern from this server,
> or do we copy
> the pattern from our desktop?  I don't suppose there are virus pattern
> that is free to download?

There are - try clamav, but I'd recommend using a commercial scanner too to get maximum protection (especially against new viruses)

I believe the Trend scanner can be used with MailScanner (although it currently has an 'unsupported' code status (see http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/codestatus.shtml )

> I am sorry for listing this simple/basic question, I did search the
> listing but couldn't found the answer.

Have a good read of the website www.mailscanner.info all the above info is there

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk