SpamAssassin 2.55 problem

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jun 29 15:46:09 IST 2003

At 14:59 29/06/2003, you wrote:
>Hi again.
>
> > Since you're only receiving a couple of hundred emails per day you don't
> > need all those MailScanner processes loaded.  Each of them is consuming
> > memory and likely only the first one is actually doing anything.
>
>Thank you both, Gerry and Julian. I will reduce the number of
>processes. I did carefully examine MailScanner.conf during installation
>file and I also noticed that setting, but I followed a "rough guide"
>- about 5 processes a CPU and didn't remember to reduce this later.
>
>Maybe just a hint: what about changing a bit the comment in
>MailScanner.conf to something like this:
>
>from:
>
># As a rough guide, try 5 children per CPU.
>
>to:
>
># As a rough guide, try 5 children per CPU. (1 children per 20MB RAM)
>
>(I have 320MB RAM and each uses 6.7, that's about 21MB a child.)

The "Max Children" setting now says this:

# How many MailScanner processes do you want to run at a time?
# There is no point increasing this figure if your MailScanner server
# is happily keeping up with your mail traffic.
# If you are running on a server with more than 1 CPU, or you have a
# high mail load (and/or slow DNS lookups) then you should see better
# performance if you increase this figure.
# If you are running on a small system with limited RAM, you should
# note that each child takes just over 20MB.
#
# As a rough guide, try 5 children per CPU. But read the notes above.
Max Children = 5

--
Julian Field