Symantec AntiVirus Command Line Scanner

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Fri Jun 27 16:35:02 IST 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:39:35 +0100, you wrote:

>> When did you hear about this? This is OLD.  The Command Line Scanner
>> is really nothing more than a single executable and a config file.
>> Its the Carrier Scan which is the real scanner, and they have EOL'ed
>> it.
>
>I came accross it today when looking at their site (we're considering
>moving to Norton/ Symantec, mainly due to preferred supplier issues
>within our group)  I don't remember seeing it when I looked previously
>(although I may well have been looking in a different place, such as
>just at the Norton branded products).  I guess the support for RH6.2
>probably should have tipped me off about its age!  Anyway... my original
>question still stands, has anyone got any experience with this product
>wither with or without mailscanner?

My experience with Symantec is they seem to be a few days behind f-prot
in releasing new definitions and they only allow a limited number of
updates a week (I believe 4 or was that a day?). I have had days with 3
f-prot updates whereas Symantec hardly managed to get an update the next
day.

And besides that I would suggest a different supplier for your
mailscanner system next to the scanner on workstations and/or exchange.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)