Changing Precedence to junk

Peter HOLZLEITNER P.Holzleitner at UNIDO.ORG
Tue Jun 17 12:08:40 IST 2003

> WHY would you bounce spam?

Well, for example - we have a rather low highscore threshold and bounce
highscore spam.  For the benefit of the two or three false positives per
week, the bounce message explain how they can send their mail in for
manual forwarding.

On the MailScanner machine, I use a mailertable entry to send incoming
mail to the internal server and point DS to a separate queue for the
bounces.  At ~6000 messages a day with ~15-18% detected spam, that
junk queue has normally ~100-150 messages in it.

--Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: mike at CAMAROSS.NET [mailto:mike at CAMAROSS.NET]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 4:32 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Changing Precedence to junk

Mailman uses the precedence of either Bulk or List...can't remember
which.  My
question is this...WHY would you bounce spam?  The large percentage of
spam you
bounce more than likey comes from forged addresses.  Therefore,
attempting to
bounce them just generates more useless traffic on the net and your
boxen (IMHO
of course).

Mike