MailWatch 0.2

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at LBSLTD.CO.UK
Tue Jun 17 12:12:00 IST 2003

Hi Martin,

>>> But once I've completed this (4 weeks) I'll give you a shout and
>>> see if I scrub up my php/mysql skills and help out if you want.

That'd be great - any help would be most appreciated.

>>> I'm trying to get rid of Clearswift's MimeSweeper product as it's a
>>> complete sod to manage/upgrade etc...

Wow! - now that is a coincedence, this is *exactly* the reason I wrote
MailWatch
in the first place.  We were using MIMEsweeper here and I wanted to move to
MailScanner because I hated MIMEsweeper so much - but still required similar
functionality to the MIMEsweeper console before we could make the switch as
I'm
the only person here with Unix skills.

>>> so I'll figure out what extra features I really need from it and then
I'll
>>> pop them over to see if we can work on them together..

Okay.

Cheers,
Steve.

Steve Freegard wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Answers to your questions:
>
> 1) It logs mail information into the DB, such as Message ID, From, To,
> Subject, SA Reports, Viruses found etc. *except* the message body and
> attachments.  The information is used purely for reporting purposes only.
> At the moment the only way to clean the database out is to manually delete
> the data by writing an SQL statement to do so.  I had planned to put some
> features in eventually to housekeep the database after a certain
period/size
> to condense the detail data into summary data, but that won't appear for a
> while yet as all the reports will need to be re-written and will take a
bit
> of planning first.
>
> 2) You can already look around your data using the 'Message Listing'
report
> - but this doesn't enable you to release mails from quarantine because the
> actual message is not contained in the database.  I will be looking at
> introducing a feature to be able to read the quaratine files from
> /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine and release then in a future version.
>
> Kind regards,
> Steve.
>
> --
> Steve Freegard
> Systems Manager
> Littlehampton Book Services Ltd.

the sender and delete the message from your mailbox.

MailScanner (www.mailscanner.info) for the presence of computer viruses.