OT: Sendmail & Vacation Auto-Responder

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Fri Jun 13 12:07:42 IST 2003

Nathan Johanson wrote:
> Off topic, but was hoping I could pick the brains of some of you
> Sendmail gurus...

I'm not a sendmail guru but I have an opinion on this! ;-)

> While I'm not particularly excited about it, a few of our clients want
> to use vacation auto-responders for email. I did a little research and
> discovered two different options:
>
> - Sendmail's vacation program
> - Procmail recipe

I much prefer the procmail solution because it's much more configurable.
For example, it's a breeze to make procmail only auto-respond to people
in your domain or to ignore certain Precedence headers or .... That way
your colleagues don't send confirmations of valid e-mails to spammers
and don't annoy people on mailing lists! I've also heard stories (but
they may be just that) of people seeing vacation-type messages, looking
them up in the phone book and burgling their house.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"