MailScanner cron job?

Eric Sandquist esandquist at IHMS.NET
Wed Jun 4 22:29:38 IST 2003

On my system, I started using MailScanner yesterday...  Seemed to work ok
for a while... Server load w/o is .60 - .80...  After starting it,
activating the cron and restarting sendmail for queue.in and queue... load
jumped to 1.2-1.7... still acceptable... Only scanning for virii...
SpamAssassin is running through procmail for individual users with
spamc/spamd since system wide scanning on this machine nearly killed it in
the past...

I have 5 child-processes set for Mail Scanner...  In about an hour server
load had exceeded 17.0-22.0... ouch.. not acceptable... was barely able to
get back in and kill things off, and that was only after a reboot...

Took another 10-20 minutes to settle back down to normal...

Would reducing the child-processes to 1 stop this from happening?

Is there any way to set this up for specific users or to exclude specific
users/accounts/aliases???

I run a few mail-list discussion groups here and the list management
software scans for virii, so they don't really need it... just the normal
users...

Thanks..

Eric
Systems Engineer