Different per user actions on single e-mail with multiple recipients?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 18:14:04 IST 2003

At 17:20 03/06/2003, you wrote:
>Nik Conwell <nik at BU.EDU> wrote:
> >Question: does MailScanner have the infrastructure to handle different
> >operations at the user level on the same piece of e-mail?
>
>No. Your understanding of how it works is correct.  (We do spam filtering
>at the user end, based on the score header that MailScanner adds.)

It's a design decision I made when I first started writing MailScanner.
Splitting a message up into the minimal number of copies of itself is not
trivial to do, and I didn't want MailScanner to be creating mail either
(other than simple report messages whose headers are not important). Few
spam or virused messages have multiple recipients, and only a small
fraction of them would ever actually need to be handled differently. So it
was a great saving in complexity against what I always reckoned was a very
small benefit.
--
Julian Field