Checking SpamAssassin activity?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Jan 24 18:49:19 GMT 2003

Well, you can verify if SpamAssassin itself is using razor and/or dcc by
running:

spamassassin --lint -D  (assuming 2.4x or higher)

and look at the debug output. You should see it calling razor and DCC in there.

If you're using an ancient version of SA (2.3x or lower) do this instead:

spamassassin -D  <sample-spam.txt

As for the AWL, it should be off for ALL MailScanner deployments which
serve more than one user. There are some VERY serious breakages when a
single AWL database is used to process the mail of multiple users. This is
very noticeable if any users in your lan are set to all_spam_to in your
spamassassin config. In this case a spammer spams them first, and from then
on has a free whitelisting to spam the rest of your users in your whole lan
because the all_spam_to gave then a -100 score in the AWL database. Ouch.

The SA AWL is designed for deployments where SA gets run on a per-user
basis, such as being called from kmail or some other mail client, and does
not handle several situations that come about from site-wide use at all well.