freeBSD problems continue

Craig Bates c.bates at COMNET.CO.NZ
Tue Jan 14 21:11:06 GMT 2003

Hi all,

Good to see there is now a FreeBSD howto and better support:)

I have recently installed MailScanner 4.11-1 on two machines, one is a P4 with
1GB RAM, another is an older box with 128MB RAM.

I'm still having the problem of mailscanner processes dying as I described
late last year.  I'm back from summer vacation and need to get this problem
fixed.  The problem is on both machines and seems worse in MailScanner 4.11.
In the past I could just restart mailscanner every hour or so and then the
problem would go away.  The new version sometimes complains on startup about
being unable to compile.  A reboot fixes this problem.

The problem is purely time dependent, not volume dependent.  The P4 doesn't
have any mail going through it and has the same problems as the older box
that processes large quantaties of mail.

I'm running FreeBSD4.7 with Perl 5.00503, f-prot, Spam Assassin 2.43, razor
2.22.

I'm going to try turning off spam assassin and f-prot in the mailscanner conf
file and see if this makes any difference.  The next thing would be to build
another box with only Mailscanner and see what happens.

Does anybody have any other ideas I could try?

Is it possible to have the mailscanner parent process write to the syslog if
it notices one of its children are missing or if it can't start a child?

Thanks

Craig