spamassassin timeout - patch

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 9 18:54:59 GMT 2003

At 23:11 08/01/2003, you wrote:
>What I will endeavour to add to the next version is an improvement to the
>SA timeout code. So if SA times out lots of times in a row it will remove
>SA's ability to do RBL lookups. If that fixes the timeouts then it will
>carry on like that. If SA still times out after some more attempts, then it
>will kill SA completely.
>
>All this state is reset when MailScanner next does its auto restart in a
>few hours time.

I have attached a patch to implement this.

 From the comment in the code, which explains it:

If we get maxfailures consecutive timeouts, then disable the SpamAssassin
RBL checks in an attempt to get it working again. If it continues to time
out for another maxfailures consecutive attempts, then disable it completely.

The factor of 2 involved in this saves having to have a configuration
variable that is very hard to explain unless you have seen it in action, at
which point you understand it anyway :-)

Please can someone try it out and let me know if it works okay? Hopefully
this will make SpamAssassin much robust when an RBL goes down.