Archiving e-mail ruleset

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 23:33:32 GMT 2003

At 14:42 08/01/2003, you wrote:
>I'm a bit lost here, I want to archive e-mail that certain users send so I
>created a ruleset.
>
>Now I'm not sure what the below means, where do I put the ruleset and
>where do I put the directory to archive mail? Is this the comma separated
>list or did I overlook something?
>
># Space-separated list of email address and directory names where you want
># a copy of all mail to be forwarded or stored.
>#
># If you give this option a ruleset, you can control exactly whose mail
># is archived or forwarded. If you do this, beware of the legal
>implications
># as this could be deemed to be illegal interception unless the police
>have
># asked you to do this.
>Archive Mail = /var/spool/MailScanner/archive

Set
         Archive Mail = /etc/MailScanner/rules/archive.mail.rules
And then in that file put things like
From: user1 at yourdomain.com      /var/spool/MailScanner/archive/user1
From:   user2 at yourdomain.com    /var/spool/MailScanner/archive/user2
From:   *@yourdomain.com        /var/spool/MailScanner/archive/otherusers
FromOrTo:       default

So mail from user1 gets put in the user1 archive (ditto for user2). Mail
from any other address in your domain gets put in the "otherusers" archive.
No other mail is archived (which is why the default is blank).
--
Julian Field