mailscanner enhancement (patch)

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 9 14:29:41 GMT 2003

At 13:22 09/01/2003, you wrote:
>I've been searching *a lot* for a nice *nix mail scanning program
>that does not require mailer brain surgery, or is sensitive
>to heavy load, and MailScanner seems to fit the bill... Nice program!

:-)

>I'm currently running it on 2 production sites, and it probably
>will be included in my standard toolbox if it behaves... :-)
>
>one tweak I made:
>
>I wanted to be able to adjust the queue scan frequency in order
>to batch process slightly less often than every 5 sec per daemon,
>
>(mail arrive maybe every 5-10 seconds at peak time, so basically
>  every incoming mail spawned a new sendmail+anti-vir process,
>  generating unnecessary load. )
>
>[that's about 2000 messages/day, for your stats]
>
>I also didn't want to decrease the sendmail queue (-q) frequency and
>use "queue" mode since that would cause it to process the outgoing
>mail queue too often.
>

>So I added a QueueScanInterval variable to get what I wanted.

Good idea. This will definitely help reduce overall load on quiet mail servers.

>Include it into the program if you want.

It will be in the next release. Many thanks for the contribution.

The entry to go into the MailScanner.conf file is this:

# How often (in seconds) should each process check the incoming mail
# queue for new messages? If you have a quiet mail server, you might
# want to increase this value so it causes less load on your server, at
# the cost of slightly increasing the time taken for an average message
# to be processed.
Queue Scan Interval = 5

--
Julian Field