spam.whitelist.rules and domain of sender does not exist

lester lasad llasad1 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 3 19:03:12 GMT 2003

Thanks for the response, I removed dnl from the line referenced below and rebuilt the sendmail.cf and it is working now.  I am curious to know if anyone is aware of any security issues involved in allowing unresolvable domains to send mail?   What is the preferred setting for most people?
Thanks again for the response.
 Mike Kercher <mike at CAMAROSS.NET> wrote:Domain of sender error message is coming from sendmail and not MailScanner.

Take a look at your /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and look for this line:

dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

Remove the leading 'dnl' and rebuild your sendmail.cf and see if that helps.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
Of lester lasad
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 2:54 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: spam.whitelist.rules and domain of sender does not exist

I am running MailScanner 4.10-1 on RedHat 7.3 and would like to allow email
from a non-existent domain to be delivered. There are several reports that
are generated in our internal network that are delivered via SMTP ( thru
MailScanner ) and the email is not going thru because the sender does not
exist.

I have tried adding both and the ip address and the sender to the
spam.whitelist.rules file but it continues to deny the emails. Has anyone
run into this or is there a solution for this problem? I have stopped and
restarted MailScanner "service MailScanner stop" and "service MailScanner
start" after making the changes. I have also tried "service MailScanner
restart". I have added the following line to spam.whitelist.rules

From: invalidsender at abc.com yes

From: 10.2.1.1 yes