spam.whitelist.rules and domain of sender does not exist

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 3 19:08:35 GMT 2003

At 19:03 03/01/2003, you wrote:
>Thanks for the response, I removed dnl from the line referenced below and
>rebuilt the sendmail.cf and it is working now.  I am curious to know if
>anyone is aware of any security issues involved in allowing unresolvable
>domains to send mail?   What is the preferred setting for most people?

Most people (AFAIK) don't allow messages from unresolvable domains as a
mild anti-spam measure, as spammers used to use fake domain names. Anyone
else got better reasons than that? It comes partly from the fact that if
the domain name cannot be resolved, then you will never be able to deliver
directly to the domain anyway, so why bother accepting the message at all?

--
Julian Field