S/MIME

Steve Evans sevans at FOUNDATION.SDSU.EDU
Wed Feb 26 21:59:16 GMT 2003

I got the patches but I'm out of the office.  I'll test it first thing in the morning.  Thanks for the great ammo to fire back with.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Julian Field [mailto:mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK]
	Sent: Wed 2/26/2003 1:49 PM
	To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
	Subject: Re: S/MIME

	At 17:41 26/02/2003, you wrote:

		I was debating with someone on another list about the differences between some multi-thousand dollar spam-filtering software and MailScanner/SpamAssassin.

		Here was one of his comments.

		        Two pieces of S/MIME goodness:

		        - block/quarantine any messages sent using S/MIME to a particular domain or domains (e.g. encrypted mail from   joe at microsoft.com to jane at lotus.com)

		        - block/quarantine any messages NOT sent using S/MIME (e.g. mail from billg at microsoft.com to some_lawyer at biglaw.com)

		        These features alone are worth the cost for many enterprises, where fear of legal hassles often outweighs purchase and maintenance costs.

		Might be a worthy feature.  Let me know if it's possible so I can continue my argument.  Thanks.

	I wonder how many of his "multi-thousand dollar spam-filtering software" packages would have been able to deliver his new favourite features in about 3 1/2 hours?
	(I posted tested patches to Steve off-list a while ago)

--
Julian Field
www.MailScanner.info <http://www.mailscanner.info/>