MailScanner support

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Tue Feb 25 11:19:57 GMT 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:15:01 +0000, you wrote:

>The options so far are these (in no particular order):
>
>1. Membership of private, closed, high-priority mailing list

No real need for.

>2. Traditional annual support contract

This I can defend to management.

>3. Regular installation of new releases and updated anti-virus engines

We have enough capable people.

>4. Advice on configuration and installation, paid for as needed

Perhaps designing special rule-sets.

>5. Remote testing and inspection to ensure your setup looks sane and should
>work

We prefer to test them ourselves on a separate system because of the
"strange" users we have.

>6. Out of hours support of all the types above (perhaps out-of-hours
>installation of new releases?)

See 3.

>7. Support paid for per-incident, possibly paying for a block of time in
>advance. How you use the time is up to you.

This is not wat management would want. Nobody knows where those hours
went at the end.

>And any other options I haven't thought of?

A special "commercial" mailscanner neatly packaged with MRTG-scripts,
Webmin etc. A bit like Sendmail Inc. does.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)