Sophos and Corrupt Files (belated response)

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at LSHTM.AC.UK
Fri Feb 14 10:56:36 GMT 2003

Hello all...

I wish it was PDFs, as I would then talk to Sophos about 3.66a.

However:

"    Sender:
IP Address: 193.63.251.36
 Recipient: postmaster at hancock.lshtm.ac.uk
   Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
 MessageID: h1E8wCY31248
    Report: Could not check ./h1E8wCY31248/laos second draft.doc (corrupt)

IP Address: 193.63.251.36
 Recipient: postmaster at hancock.lshtm.ac.uk
 MessageID: h1E9KYY31429
    Report: Could not check ./h1E9KYY31429/PLANNING TABLE FOR RHIYA WORKSHOPS.doc (corrupt)"

... I've also seen an .xls file.

All of these, interestingly, appear to be bounces back to our postmaster
(mail is routing around our systems in a most-amusing way at the moment).

They are, in fact, messages being sent to a user at our site who redirects/forwards
her email to Hotmail. Hotmail is presently returning a 'user exceeded storage allocation'
message, so it bounces back to our Postmaster.

Whether this tortuous route mangles the Word files along the way, I'm not sure...

Julian, are the patches to deal with the Sophos return codes going
into a forthcoming version of MailScanner, and when might that appear?