Log question

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Feb 9 12:00:17 GMT 2003

At 02:54 09/02/2003, you wrote:
>I have been looking through my mail logs and found something I don't
>understand.  The following 5 lines are from /var/log/mail.info:
>
>Feb  8 21:22:16 www MailScanner[20264]: New Batch: Found 6 messages waiting
>Feb  8 21:22:16 www MailScanner[20264]: New Batch: Scanning 1 messages, 4443
>bytes
>Feb  8 21:22:16 www MailScanner[20264]: Spam Checks: Starting
>Feb  8 21:22:17 www MailScanner[20264]: Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
>Feb  8 21:22:19 www MailScanner[20264]: Uninfected: Delivered 1 messages
>
>MailScanner thinks it found 6 messages, scanned 1 and delivered 1.

It found 6 messages. However only 1 of them was actually completely
delivered by sendmail, the other 5 were still being received. So it could
only start processing 1 of the 6 that appeared to be there.

>   When I
>check my mail, I received 1 message.  Where did the other 5 messages go?

Still being read into your system by sendmail.

>I'm not exactly sure when this started.  I scanned back though the logs, and
>found a similar message on Feb 2nd.  I don't think I'm loosing messages,
>because the message volume on the server hasn't changed.
>
>I'm running MailScanner 4.11-1 on Debian Woody with Exim and Sophos.
>
>Steve
>(steve at cgpsystems.com)
>

>--
>This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by
>MailScanner,
>and is believed to be clean. (MailScanner 4.11-1, 3.66)

Giving exact version numbers away to anyone who gets your mail is probably
a very bad idea from a security point of view.
--
Julian Field