Mailscanner setup (sendmail start script)

Al Cooper alc at TLYNX.COM
Mon Dec 29 22:38:54 GMT 2003

I am setting up mailscanner on a Redhat 9 box.  I am following the
instructions provided by Julian Field at the following link:
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/sendmail.shtml

I am at the point of modifying the sendmail start script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d.  The instructions are as follows:

"Currently, your copy of sendmail will be started by a script such as
/etc/init.d/mail or /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail. Somewhere in this script will
be the command to start sendmail itself. This should look like this:

    sendmail -bd -q15m

You should change this to the following two lines:

sendmail -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly -OQueueDirecto
ry=/var/spool/mqueue.in
    sendmail -q15m"

Here is the "start" section of my sendmail start script

start() {
        # Start daemons.

        echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
        /usr/bin/newaliases > /dev/null 2>&1
        if test -x /usr/bin/make -a -f /etc/mail/Makefile ; then
          make all -C /etc/mail -s
        else
          for i in virtusertable access domaintable mailertable ; do
            if [ -f /etc/mail/$i ] ; then
                makemap hash /etc/mail/$i < /etc/mail/$i
            fi
          done
        fi
        daemon /usr/sbin/sendmail $([ "x$DAEMON" = xyes ] && echo -bd) \
                                $([ -n "$QUEUE" ] && echo -q$QUEUE)
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/sendmail

        if ! test -f /var/run/sm-client.pid ; then
        echo -n $"Starting sm-client: "
        touch /var/run/sm-client.pid
        chown smmsp:smmsp /var/run/sm-client.pid
        daemon --check sm-client /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac \
                                -q$SMQUEUE
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/sm-client
        fi

        return $RETVAL
}

I am not a programmer.  Can someone help me modify my start script or point
me to a more Redhat friendly install guide?

Thanks,

Al Cooper