bigevil usage... confused

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Dec 20 11:59:22 GMT 2003

At 03:09 20/12/2003, you wrote:
>Gang,
>    I've been following the "bigevil.cf" thread...  I
>downloaded it and put it into /etc/mail/spamassassin,
>then did
>
>spamassassin -D -p /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint
>
>and saw:
>
>debug: using "/opt/perl5/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
>debug: using "/etc/opt/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
>debug: using "/home/admin/jaearick/.spamassassin" for user state dir
>debug: using "/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" for user
>prefs file
>
>with *no* reference to bigevil.cf anywhere in the output.
>
>Hmmm...  I looked in /etc/opt/mail/spamassassin and found another
>local.cf file.  So I blew away this directory and made a symlink for
>this dir pointing to /etc/mail/spamassassin.  This directory contains
>a symlink for local.cf, which points to
>/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>
>Tried the lint run again, still no reference to bigevil.cf in the output.
>Should I see one?  What have I snarled up here?  How to see if bigevil
>is getting used (no references to BigEvilList in the SA syslogging
>either).  Help.

Never forget that Unix filesystems log the time each file was last accessed.
So if you wait a couple of minutes, run your lint command, and then do
ls -lu /etc/mail/spamassassin
then it will print the "last used" time instead of the last modification
time. If the datestamp is now and not a couple of minutes ago, then the
file has been read by something.

Very simple technique, but occasionally extremely useful.
--
Julian Field