bigevil usage... confused

bnixon bnixon at NIXTECH.NET
Sat Dec 20 15:26:09 GMT 2003

I have several .cf files in /etc/mail/spamassassin ?(my default site
location) all of which work. A good test would be to put a typo in the
bigevil.cf file and run   spamassassin --lint -D   and watch for errors.

It looks to me that the lint command you are running is forcing
spamassassin to use the mailscanner prefs file as its only rule file.
Spamassassin will read any .cf file in the site location by default but
your debug command is not letting it look there -

bn

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of bnixon
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 8:25 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: bigevil usage... confused

Put it in /etc/mail/spamassassin/

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Jeff A. Earickson
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 7:09 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: bigevil usage... confused

Gang,
   I've been following the "bigevil.cf" thread...  I
downloaded it and put it into /etc/mail/spamassassin,
then did

spamassassin -D -p /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint

and saw:

debug: using "/opt/perl5/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
debug: using "/etc/opt/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
debug: using "/home/admin/jaearick/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: using "/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" for user
prefs file

with *no* reference to bigevil.cf anywhere in the output.

Hmmm...  I looked in /etc/opt/mail/spamassassin and found another
local.cf file.  So I blew away this directory and made a symlink for
this dir pointing to /etc/mail/spamassassin.  This directory contains
a symlink for local.cf, which points to
/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

Tried the lint run again, still no reference to bigevil.cf in the
output.
Should I see one?  What have I snarled up here?  How to see if bigevil
is getting used (no references to BigEvilList in the SA syslogging
either).  Help.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College

believed to be clean.