Yahoo Developing Open Source Server Software For Spam-Resista nt E-Mail

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 17:38:48 GMT 2003

At 16:42 15/12/2003, you wrote:
> [...]

Your assumption is fine for little ISPs. But what about the Yahoos and AOLs
of this world? They would have to manage thousands and thousands of domains
for their customers. They are also using dynamic IP allocation, so they
would have to allow all their IP addresses to send mail as coming from any
customer-owned domain name.

So user1 has "friendly.com" and user2 is a spammer. User2 can send mail
from "friendly.com" and there's not much you can do to stop him. The only
chance is to change all the DNS records, saying who can send what from
where, every time a user logs in and logs out. Impossible.

I have yet to see any solution to this problem which
(a) actually works, even in theory (most are based on broken logic)
(b) scales to large ISPs

--
Julian Field