MailScanner installation problems

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Wed Dec 10 17:14:02 GMT 2003

Don't worry about the missing sendmail line in the /etc/init.d/sendmail
script.  The proper parameters are set in /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner, or in
the /etc/init.d/MailScanner script.  Make sure that in
/etc/sysconfig/MailScanner that you have the proper MTA selected - it's the
first couple of lines.  By default it's Postfix; I had to comment that out
and uncomment sendmail.

Just go to the command line and enter:
        chkconfig sendmail off
which will insure that sendmail doesn't start on it's own.  When you're
happy that everything is working fine, enter
        chkconfig MailScanner on
to enable it to start automatically at boot.  To control it, use
rcMailScanner [stop, start, reload, etc.]  Redhat nomenclature would be
"service MailScanner [stop, start...]" so if you see that in the docs or
elsewhere just mentally substitute the rcSCRIPTNAME verbage instead.  FWIW,
that works for all the scripts so you can say rcsendmail as well.

You may have already done it, but in /etc/sysconfig/mail you want to set the
following:
MAIL_CREATE_CONFIG="no"
SMTPD_LISTEN_REMOTE="yes"

The first turns keeps SuSEConfig from clobbering your customizations, and
the second tells sendmail to accept mail from other hosts.  By default it
will only accept mail from itself.

SuSE seems to have changed things around a bit in sendmail.  If you want to
alter your /etc/sendmail.cf file, edit the linux.mc file in /etc/mail then
do the m4 magic that turns all the various .mc files into the sendmail.cf
file.  I forget the syntax off the top of my head.

I think that outta about cover it.  Good luck...

...Kevin
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500