MailScanner installation problems

Wilfred Bolten Wilfred.Bolten at TOMMY-EUROPE.COM
Wed Dec 10 16:21:16 GMT 2003

Hi,

I haven't done a awfull lot with Linux before so this is probably the
reason why I am having problems with the installation of the
MailScanner.

I have Linux Suse 9 with Sendmail running. I can send emails through my
Exchange organization to this Senmail box and deliver them to the remote
hosts. Also incoming email works fine. So I am pretty sure the SendMail
part if working.

To add virus scanning and anti-SPAM measurements I want to add
MailScanner to sendmail.

For this I have downloaded MailScanner-4.25-14.suse.tar and performed
the steps described on
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/MailScanner/Install but I am not getting
the response I am expecting from the system

I ran the tar xvf MailScanner-4.25-14.suse.tar and I got the directories
and files listed as it should.

The bit about the TNEF I don't really understand. Can somebody help me
out here?

For the rest I followed the steps to change the lines that are needed to
start sendmail but again. What is described on the website is different
from my information.

This bit on the website does not make any sense to me
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/sendmail.shtml

Currently, your copy of sendmail will be started by a script such as
/etc/init.d/mail or /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail. Somewhere in this script
will be the command to start sendmail itself. This should look like
this:

    sendmail -bd -q15m
You should change this to the following two lines:
    sendmail -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in
    sendmail -q15m

I don't have the line
    sendmail -bd -q15m

But have
### END INIT INFO

test -s /etc/sysconfig/mail && \
. /etc/sysconfig/mail

test -s /etc/sysconfig/sendmail && \
. /etc/sysconfig/sendmail

if test -z "$SENDMAIL_ARGS" ; then
SENDMAIL_ARGS="-L sendmail -Am -bd -q15m -om"
fi
if test -z "$SENDMAIL_CLIENT_ARGS" ; then
SENDMAIL_CLIENT_ARGS="-L sendmail-client -Ac -qp30m"
fi
if test "$SMTPD_LISTEN_REMOTE" != "yes" ; then
SENDMAIL_ARGS="-O DaemonPortOptions=Addr=127.0.0.1 $SENDMAIL_ARGS"
fi
msppid=/var/spool/clientmqueue/sm-client.pid
srvpid=/var/run/sendmail.pid

What do I need to change now?

Many thanks
Wilfred

Confidentiality: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.
Please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error.

Security Warning: Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium.
We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus.
We advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.