was blank, now Clam autoupdate, add f-prot

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Sat Aug 30 16:59:53 IST 2003

Over, and over, and over, and over ...

Aug 30 08:01:02 vanquish update.virus.scanners: Found f-prot installed
Aug 30 08:01:02 vanquish update.virus.scanners: Updating f-prot
Aug 30 08:20:10 vanquish F-Prot autoupdate[2301]: Download of
ftp://ftp.f-prot.com/pub/fp-def.zip failed, exiting,

The time changes, of course.

On my previous machine (RH 7.2 instead of RH 9, currently running 4.23-7,
f-prot alone) the update cron job runs happily every hour if there is no
update, but fails if there is one. However, the mail to root says it failed,
and I go run my own script in response:

[root at verbose f-prot]# cat update-signs.sh
rm -f fp-def.zip
wget http://www.f-prot.com/cgi-bin/get_randomly?fp-def
/usr/local/bin/unzip -fo fp-def.zip

Of course I also have an update-macro.sh script when the mail to root
indicates those files are needed. To the best of my recollection, I have
never seen the MailScanner-supplied scripts work. I always figured it was
something I had done on verbose, but on vanquish I have done so little
beyond installing RPMs (with nary a --force or --nodeps) that I really don't
think I've screwed anything up yet.

Van

Kevin Spicer wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 06:43, G. Armour Van Horn wrote: Well, neither of
> >my virus definitions were being updated on my MailScanner 4.23-9
> >system. Not a crisis, since there aren't any users on there yet, but I
> >want to get it working so I can start the switch early next week.
>
> >I have the cron job running that the RPM installed, and it's sending me
> >mail every hour saying that it worked. It lies.
>
> Nope, its just not very clear.  It tells you it found f-prot / clam and
> its updating them [by which it means it is running the updater].
>
> Julian, perhaps the "Updating $NAME" should be changed to "Running
> ${NAME}-autoupdate" just to avoid any confusion n future?
>
> You can see the output of the updater by looking in your maillog.  Try..
>
> grep -i f-prot /var/log/maillog      [Substitute the correct path/file!]
>
> This should help as the f-prot-autoupdate script catches quite a few
> errors.
>
> BMRB International
> http://www.bmrb.co.uk
> +44 (0)20 8566 5000
> This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the
> recipient and may contain confidential and/or privileged
> material.  If you have received this in error, please contact the
> sender and delete this message immediately.  Disclosure, copying
> or other action taken in respect of this email or in
> reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB International Limited
> accepts no liability in relation to any personal emails, or
> content of any email which does not directly relate to our
> business.

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,